Wednesday, November 18, 2015

{Parenthetical Aside}


I had an English teacher in high school who would constantly make fun of me for writing long sentences with lots of (parenthetical asides).  Then, Infinite Jest came out, which is by a far better writer than me, (David Foster Wallace) but who wrote in long sentences with a lot of parenthetical asides and even end-notes (there's something like 200 pages of end-notes in Infinite Jest - I read 'em all). So take that, English teacher whose name I can't even remember! The way I write turned into a bestselling, critically acclaimed book... by an author who went on to hang himself in his mid-40s.  I guess if you write in long sentences or short sentences (a la Hemingway) you're going to kill yourself.  Mid-sized sentences are the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment